Tuesday 9 December 2008

Ballet - Ondine (Royal Opera House)

Ballet - Ondine (Royal Opera House)


I recently went to the Royal Opera House to see some ballet (Ondine - http://www.roh.org.uk/whatson/production.aspx?pid=7068). All in all, it was fairly good and had its moments, but the dancing that involved multiple people was a bit sloppy (one woman even fell) and the costumes and setting could have been better. There were moments when it felt more like a cheesy musical rather than a moody and beautiful ballet. However, the lead woman was indeed fantastic and her body moved like water.


I have been to the ROH a number of times for various events and regardless of the occasion, it’s always a fun event. Despite the overpriced booze (£11 per champagne glass), questionable service (Sir, can I please have another cup of coffee because this one seems to have a lipstick stain from prior use), and super cosy seats (good luck to you if you’re over 5 foot tall), it is a beautiful setting with a very unique ambiance. However, what I also find amusing is the audience checking each other out, and in fact, that’s half the fun for me. Having toured a number of European opera houses in the weekend trip uniform of jeans and city sneakers, I am especially delighted to get judgmental looks by people who dress up to go to the opera / ballet (fair enough, to each their own) and who give me dirty looks for not trying harder. I guess I must have been mistaken as I thought that we buy the tickets to see the opera / ballet performance, not the other members of the audience. I guess I was wrong.http://www.roh.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment