Wednesday 3 December 2008

Easy Virtue Film

Title: Easy Virtue

Rating (out of 100): 65

Mood: neutral, nothing too emotionally engaging, fanciful




I saw this film accidentally thinking that I was going to see Tropic Thunder. Imagine my surprise when I saw a different film title than I was expecting, and then further realizing that it was too late to do anything but sit and watch the film. Despite the sometimes annoying points about the film (especially the clichéd mother in law and new wife relationship) the film proved more entertaining than I expected. It hinted at, but didn’t go into too much depth about the Great War but did effectively show its effects on the soldiers that came out alive. And while the ending may offend some, it was inevitably hinted at throughout the whole movie and I found it surprisingly charming. Jessica Biel gives an effective performance, as do Collin Firth (nice to see him play a sad pessimistic type) and Kristin Scott Thomas. Out of 5, I give it a 3 1/5. Lacks any emotional depth – whether it’s sadness or enlightenment or joy or drama, but is a relatively enjoyable and easy watch. The type that my parents would enjoy – the type that you don’t have to get too emotionally charged or invested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment